Friday, January 28, 2011

Part VI

Dear Diary,

Sorry I'm so late this week. I've just been so busy getting the estate set up, I haven't had a second to sit down and write. Rereading my last few entries, I know I normally seem pretty overwrought and all, so today I'm going to try to be a bit calmer. Also, I'm kind of in a rush to finish so I can go take some morphine and crash. Don't look at me like that.

Where to begin? I've been reading a ton since I last wrote because there's not much else to do around here. Dolly came to visit for a bit. It was really nice at first, but then she started talking about how I should write Alexi asking for a divorce, and it got pretty awkward. I think the niceness of the estate made her uncomfortable, especially since she came in some shabby clothes. Anyway, she left earlier than she had planned, in a bit of a huff.

Veslovsky was here at the same time, and wouldn't stop flirting with me, even though that was exactly what got him kicked out of Levin's estate just before he came here. I couldn't figure out how to react properly, which made me feel kinda guilty in front of Vronsky.

After Dolly left, Vronsky said he had to go to Kashin for the provincial elections, and I tried to keep a calm face. He was supposed to come back in just a couple days, but after he was late I sent a telegram asking if everything was ok and saying that the kid was sick. After I sent it, I got his note saying that he was going to be late, so I was embarrassed, and he still rushed home, by which time, the kid was fine. I think I looked like a whiny little girl who couldn't stand to be apart from him, but he understood and made me feel better.

I've decided to write Alexei to get a divorce. I just can't handle this state of affairs any longer.

xx,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment